Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The "n" word

July 22, 2013

There has been so much going on in the past several months.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that we need a frank and open discussion about race in this country.

We haven't heard much from Paula Deen since the initial controversy.  She cancelled an October appearance at the NY Wine and Food Festival.  Since she no longer has a relationship with the Food Network, it isn't surprising.  George Zimmerman was found not guilty.  Some people are happy about it, but a lot of others are not.  Then there's the "Big Brother" controversy, where racist, homophobic and misogynistic behavior has incurred the wrath of the Internet. (See: http://onewomansopin.blogspot.com/2013/07/big-brother-controversy.html)  The comments flying back and forth on social media haven't been helpful.  People are angry.  They are hurt and they are confused.

So how do we start the discussion?  The truth is there are two or more sides to everything.  Unfortunately, so many people only see one side of an issue.  They aren't open other possibilities.  Cultural differences complicate matters. America is a melting pot.  We grow up in different cultures. They can be ethnic or regional and not understanding how different we all are is a major roadblock.  Throw in "noise" to the mix.  Noise is what keeps us from understanding the original intention of a communication. Ever send an email that was completely misinterpreted?  That's an example of noise. (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication)

There are so many factors keeping us from communicating, but somehow we have to get past all that and start listening to each other more.  Twitter and Facebook restrict us in the way we communicate.  It is hard to get an idea across when you are limited to 140 characters.  They also offer us anonymity.  People say some awful things on social media sites that they would never do in person.  This pours fuel on the fire and is another barrier to communication.

So what do we do?  Talk to each other!  Listen and learn!  Let your guard down and prepare to have your thoughts and ideas challenged.  Agree to disagree, but respect the other person's opinion.  Hang in there until you read understand what the other person is saying.

I've said this before and I will say it again. The hate has to stop.  Life is too short for this.


_________________________________________________________________________________



There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Paula Deen’s admission that she used the "n" word thirty years ago.  I do not believe there is another word in our vocabulary as offensive.

Paula has been publicly flogged for her admission.  I will not be her judge and jury.  I am concerned that the younger generation does not understand why that word is so offensive.  They hear it daily in music, in movies and on television.  I am afraid that its constant usage will give them the impression that it is nothing more than a slang term.  I hope that the following story illustrates how vile that word really is.

I grew up in the 50’s.  I lived in an apartment building on the south side of Chicago.  Shortly after I turned five, my mother announced that she was expecting a baby.  I was thrilled.  Unfortunately, she had a very difficult pregnancy.  She was flat on her back for the duration.  My mother needed someone to take care of me while my Dad worked so she asked her friend, Mrs. Brown, if her daughter could babysit that summer. 

Mrs. Brown’s daughter was nicknamed Sister and she was so cool!  She had a poodle skirt, bobby socks, and saddle shoes.  She wore her hair in a ponytail that swished when she walked.  I couldn’t wait for her to get off the bus every morning.

My mother was happy too.  Sister took excellent care of me and kept the apartment clean.  I was a lonely only child and I loved her.  She taught me how to jump rope and use a hula hoop.  I was in heaven!

One day will forever stand out in my mind.  My mother needed something from the grocery store.  She gave Sister some money and hand-in-hand we went.  There were two small Mom and Pop shops in my neighborhood.  We went to the first store, but they didn’t have what we needed.  We had to walk a bit further to the second store.  We opened the door, but stopped in the doorway.  I remember Sister standing there quietly holding my hand. There was a man and woman standing at the counter talking to the store owner who was standing behind it.  They turned to look at us.  I don’t remember hearing what was said, but we never went into the store.  Sister turned around and we walked home.  She handed the money back to my mother.  They never said a word, but something passed between them when they looked into each others eyes.

A few days later, our landlord paid us a visit.  My mother had a great deal of respect for him.  He was a displaced person.  He had escaped Poland with his wife and children during WWII, leaving his mother behind.  He had been through so much.  He approached my mother with tears in his eyes.  He had received threats that if he didn’t get rid of the ******, the building would be bombed.  This man left Poland for the United States to escape persecution.  He was horrified that he was in this position.  There were at least ten children living in that apartment building.  My mother spoke with Mrs. Brown and Sister never returned.

I could tell you similar stories, but it is my hope this one is sufficient.  I believe in forgiveness.  It was a different time.  People acted out of fear and ignorance.  I know that many look back in shame at what they said or did.  We grow.  We learn.  We mature.  We move on. But we should never be complacent.  This word shouldn’t be used by anyone.  It needs to be removed from the American vocabulary.

June 27, 2013

I realized that people might misunderstand or misinterpret what I wrote. I want to clear up any possible misconceptions.  My mother was very close to Mrs. Brown.  They worked side by side on an assembly line before my mother had to take time off to have my brother.  My mother hired Sister because she was her friend's daughter and she knew her well.  

My mother and our landlord were appalled by the threats.  Our landlord fled Poland to escape the Nazis.  He thought he was bringing his family to a country where all were safe from persecution.  He regretted having to ask this of my mother, but felt he had no choice.  The safety of the building's children was his responsibility.  My mother agreed out of fear for Sister's safety.  Although the bigot's might think twice before blowing up a building full of children, they would not have any problems attacking Sister as she got off the bus.  

My family remained friends with the Browns for many years.  Although Sister never returned, Mrs. Brown and her youngest daughter visited us on a regular basis.  We would visit the Browns, as well. 

There are those who look back at the 50's with nostalgia.  I have never understood why.

4 comments:

  1. This brings back a special time in my daughter Jennie's life when she was in the first grade. I had been laid off from GM during the oil embargo of 1974. We had moved to Rock Island, Illinois where I worked for John Deere. My children were enrolled in a Lutheran school. Linda took and picked up Jennie and Tommy from school. Jennie would talk about this friend who was a classmate and nagged her mom to be able to have a play date with her. It was agreed to and Linda took Jennie to her friends home on a Saturday. Jennie had told us that she would like to have her hair fixed like her friend's. She being 6 at the time tried to explain what it looked like. Linda dropped Jennie at her friends home and went with her to the door to meet her friends mother. When the door opened there stood a woman and girl who were both African American. It was then that Linda knew what Jennie meant when she had said that her friend had her hair braided. The friend had those cute multi-braids with the colorful beads etc. that they wear. Jennie had never mentioned anything different about this girl and when Linda said, "you didn't tell me she was brown." Jennie said, "she is"? This was Jennie's first one on one with a person like this.

    (to be continued due to limited characters)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was raised in a town in Southern Illinois that even to the day I left when I joined the Navy did not have one black person who resided there. I was told when I was young that there was an ordinance that didn't allow a "negro" to be in town after sundown. I never knew why this was. My parents never talked negatively about them; so when I was 18 and left for the Navy I had no way of validating the stories I had heard of the treatment of blacks in my hometown. I can attest that I never saw any mistreatment except the ban.

    A town over did have blacks but they were isolated into what was know as N.... Town. We (my siblings and I) were only allowed to mention them as colored. We were a poor family by the standards of that day and didn't have the luxury of looking down on anyone.

    In 1961 something that I had not seen in my hometown was when I arrived at the Greyhound station in Richmond, Va. Separate drinking fountains and restrooms for "Whites Only" and "Colored". This disturbed me in such a way that I couldn't understand because I had been taught from the Bible that red and yellow, black and white they are precious in his sight. How could people be so cruel to each other?

    During my career in the Navy some of my best friends have looked different than me. In boot camp a full blooded Indian from Canada and I both were disciplined together for smoking out side the normal "smoking lamp is lit" time.
    I have bunked on three different ships. My bunks had always been in proximity with blacks, a Pilipino and various Hispanic and a couple of homosexuals (yes this was years before DADT) we knew but we didn't care which work fine until it became an issue of rights.

    I have raised three children; all adopted. One is from South Korea one lost in war all loved yes loved more that any biological child. We have lived with prejudices and know the hurt that it bestows on the one discriminated against. My children never saw any prejudice from Linda and me and through there life have had many friends of different ethnic persuasions.

    Twenty five years ago Richard and Jackie moved in across the street from us. I think the second African American family to move into our neighborhood. "Scooter" Richard Jr. was an infant. He's 25 now and his brother Ricky is 23. We've been invited and have invited them to our children's open houses after graduation. When we lost Tommy in Iraq they were right there bringing food and looking to help anyway they could. Last Christmas Richard Sr. died unexpectedly at age of 53. At his funeral there were about 400-500 mourners and a big percentage were Caucasian. I hovered over that family because they were my family. Scooter is doing his best to help mom out and I look in now and then. Ricky the youngest and is getting his Masters in Alabama wanted to take time off from school to help mom for a while. I assured him as it was his mom's desire to finish school which he has done. Jackie calls me ever so often for advice and help. This makes me feel special to know that when I have seen those who "were here for you" sort of evaporate in the days gone by that I'm across the street and can "be there".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy, your story reminded me of a similar one. I was engaged to another sailor before I met Mike. He was stationed in Mississippi. Being from Chicago, he was stunned at the "Whites Only" signs on bathrooms etc.

      He got really upset one day when he and another sailor had to go to the courthouse to get driver's licenses. His friend had to go in a separate door.

      There were so many incidents like that growing up. Mike worked in the Western Electric building in Indianapolis after he got out of the Navy. He had a friend who was African-American who was engaged to a girl who wasn't. The girl was dished a lot of garbage, because of it. The young man was so hurt that she would be treated like that, because of him. We made it a point to invite them to our home so they knew we had their backs and supported them. We attended their wedding. They have two wonderful grown sons and have been married over 30 years.

      It makes me sad that there although we have come so far, we still have so far to go. When are people going to understand that life is too darned short for this nonsense and that who you are and how you treated people is the only thing you can take to your grave.

      Delete
  3. I guess to me the bottom line is: give me the next generation and I will change all this bigotry. It's virtually impossible to try and change the old school's thinking. When you have an old car that is beyond repair, you get a new one. One thing that keeps this from happening is the bigoted skin heads etc. who just won't let it go. Look at some of our elite politicians i.e. Robert Bird (deceased)a KKK member and Strom Thurmond (deceased)no better than a plantation owner in pre Civil War south just to name a few.

    ReplyDelete