Friday, June 28, 2013

Paula Deen

July 25, 2013


Whatever Happened to Paula Deen?

It has been a little over three weeks since the media feeding frenzy over Paula Deen's racist remarks.  I find it fascinating that this woman who was so vilified is now off the radar.  If you enter her name into your browser you will find a few interesting tidbits.  For example, Deen's former cook discussed the way Deen treated her in a USA Today article, (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/07/25/paula-deens-cook-confirms-racism-speaks/2586063/).  If it is true, it gives credence to the accusations.  You'll also find an article about her cancelling an appearance at a NYC festival, (http://www.christianpost.com/news/paula-deen-cancels-appearance-at-nyc-festival-100754/). But, for the most part, you don't hear much about her anymore.

You would think that the article about her cook would raise eyebrows and be an excellent follow-up for the press, but we haven't heard a peep.   I'm sure that Paula Deen is doing everything she can to keep herself out of the media eye at the moment, but in this 24/7 social media world, you would think we would hear something, but we haven't.  Why? Because Paula is old news.

The Paula Deen scandal is like so many others.  It burned hot, furious, and fast.  It was over in a New York minute.  The media bludgeoned us with the scandal for days.  I don't know about you, but I was sick of hearing about it.  I think that is part of it, as well.  We are so inundated with sound bites that we tire of news quickly.  We are bored and annoyed by the constant barrage and start tuning out.  That is the turning point for the media.  They move on to the next sound bite.

Is this a good thing?  I don't think so.  For a start, news programs need balance.  Slow news days are the worst.  They will latch on to any piece of information and recycle it until they find something more interesting.  Viewers tune out.  I'd rather check news organizations online rather than watch the constant verbal diarrhea on television.

Today's hot news topic is the latest on Anthony Weiner.  He keeps making the news, because he keeps screwing up.  He's a news channel's (and a comedienne's) dream.  The lyrics to "Dirty Laundry" keep running through my head.

I would love to say news organizations are fair and balanced, but it is all about ratings.  I know I am an old lady, but I yearn for the time when we got our news at noon, five and eleven. 


________________________________________________________________________________

June 28, 2013


There has a lot been said recently about Paula Deen.  I will not be her judge and jury.  However, I am appalled at the number of innocents who are now paying the price due to the backlash.  The employees of her closed restaurants are now out of work.  Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. have broken their ties with her.  This means that the factories making her products will lose business.  They will have to shut their assembly lines down as there is not enough time to find replacement business.  Someone will have to pay for the products that have been made or were in production.  That isn’t necessarily Paula.  Many times celebrities lend their names to products or license them for a fee.  A lot of bottom lines will be affected.  People will lose their jobs.

Not long ago, the restaurant, Chick-fil-A, took a great deal of heat.  The company funneled some of its profits into groups that were antigay.  People reacted negatively and the company bowed to pressure and changed its practices.  At no time were Chick-fil-A’s employees affected. 

Chick-fil-A, like Paula Deen’s empire, is headed by one person.  Although I don’t support anyone who is a racist or a bigot, do we have the right to destroy their businesses?  Shouldn’t the owner of Chick-fil-A spend his money as he wants?  If we don’t like what a person says or does, we have the right not to frequent the business, but do we have the right to tell him how to think or how he may spend his money? We can affect their bottom line and hopefully change their attitude, but do we need to shut the business down?  If the business apologizes, changes their practices and moves on, more has been accomplished than if it had been closed.

We don’t investigate every business we frequent.  I don’t know if the owner of my local grocery store is morally bankrupt.  I don’t do a background check on my local pharmacist.  I frequent these businesses, because I like the way they do business.  If I discovered that they were engaged in unfair business practices, were mistreating their employees, were refusing to hire based on race and gender etc., I would react.  There are legal ramifications for such behavior and I would pursue them.

At this point we don’t know that about Paula Deen.  I have stated that I was upset by the overreaction.  What she said was offensive. (Please see my previous blog: The "n" word. http://onewomansopin.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-n-word.html.)  Her plans for an antebellum wedding demonstrated she was oblivious to put it mildly, all African-American male waiters, really?  She apologized, but it was done clumsily.  Some felt that she hadn’t apologized enough or hadn’t truly taken ownership of her mistake.  But is she a racist or a bigot?  I don’t know what is in that woman’s heart.  There is a complaint filed by a white employee stating she is.  The courts have yet to determine whether this is true.  Until then I will reserve judgment.

I have never purchased anything remotely related to Paula Deen so my reaction will have no impact on her.  Whether she is a racist who abused her employees will be determined by the courts and it is up to the courts to determine what punishment, if any, she deserves. 

Forgive me for rambling.  I have seen racism throughout my life.  My family has been affected by it.  Yet, in my heart I forgive Paula.  I think that is what bothers me the most.  The reaction to her has been hateful and spiteful rather than sad that such a loving person could be so far off the mark.  Was she wrong to use that word?  YES!  But I wonder if the resulting backlash teaches anyone anything.  Racism is born of fear and ignorance.  Responding to hate with hate fuels it rather than extinguishes it.  

June 29, 2013 Update

I read an excellent article on this subject matter today and wanted to share it with you: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/chick-fil-a-re-evaluates-funding-for-anti-gay-marriage-groups/ 

July 2, 2013 Update

I mentioned my concern that more people will be impacted by the scandal that just Paula Deen.  The following link discusses this in detail: http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/02/news/companies/paula-deen-suppliers/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

5 comments:

  1. Its unreal that remarks made 30 years ago can cause all this today. Just because someone is a TV star. But as I said in FB, Martha Stewart can go to prison & make millions. Yes we do live in a really screwed up society!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting. Please let others know about my blog!

      Delete
  2. A year from now (maybe tomorrow) it will be something different for people to crow about. "Can't we all get along". Rodney King.
    I have more offence with much of her crudeness on her show. I came across it a couple times and perused it a few minutes. She's a course person, but a lot of people are. She's got enough stashed to take her to the Pearly Gates. Maybe it's the First Lady who broke this because Paula Deen's cooking is in no way healthy. As far as Chick-Fil-A they were standing on their (bible)principles. Their business soared and it's good food too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Paula is coarse, but as you said a lot of people are. She does have a lot of money, but a lot of innocents, such as her restaurant's staff, are paying the price for this media frenzy that to me seems so over the top.

      As to her cooking, my mother was from the South and I know my aunt still cooks like that. Perhaps she doesn't do as much as she used to do, but that style of cooking is Southern tradition.

      In regards to Chick-Fil-A, although I don't agree with funding any kind of hate group (some of the organizations he was donating to were pretty scary), it is his money. I don't agree with him, but Chick-Fil-A produces a quality product and Mike and I eat there often. And that was my point, I am not the thought police.

      Thanks for replying to my blog. My purpose is to create a forum for dialog where people can speak their minds freely.

      Delete
    2. I wanted to add that while I support Chick-fil-A's owner's right to his religious beliefs, I disagree with any group that promotes violence. Chick-fil-A did reassess their donation practices as a result of the controversy: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/chick-fil-a-re-evaluates-funding-for-anti-gay-marriage-groups/



      Delete