Tuesday, June 4, 2013

TO VOTE OR NOT TO VOTE, THAT IS THE QUESTION!



New Jersey’s 2013 primary was held today.  We were discussing the election on Facebook this afternoon, when someone hit me with the tired platitude, “If you don’t vote, you can’t complain.”  I can’t tell you how many times I have heard this.  It annoys me every time.

There are many reason people don’t vote.  Some are too lazy.  Some don’t have the time.  Others make a conscience choice.  I have fallen into the latter category a number of times in my life.  I am passionate about politics.  I research and investigate the candidates before I vote.  I am an informed voter and make informed choices.  When I enter that booth I know who I am voting for and why. It frustrates me to no end when I am given two choices and I have no desire to check the box by either of their names.

People tell me that I should hold my nose and chose the latter of two evils.  Why?  By doing so, I am endorsing their candidacy.  There are a few states that have “none of the above” on their ballots.  It is an expensive option.  If “none” wins, the election has to be held again.  It sends an incredible message though!  NONE OF YOU PEOPLE ARE WORTH MY VOTE!  Low voter turnout sends the same message.  It isn’t necessarily apathy as many political pundits assume.

That is my point.  I value my vote.  I don’t use it lightly.  I would rather not vote as an informed voter than vote as an uninformed one.  I resent the implication that I am not patriotic or am unappreciative of those who gave me the right.

And yes, I have the right to complain if I don’t vote.  If the political process cannot come up with one candidate that I can vote for, I am going to complain and I am going to complain LOUDLY! 

People don’t realize that we have another right in this country.  We have the right not to vote.  Voting is mandatory in many countries.  Punishment for not voting varies.  It is prevalent in dictatorships (think Iraq during Hussein).  Why?  Dictators know a low turnout is perceived as criticism.  So you’d better vote or else!  I gladly exercise my right to not vote when none of the candidates ring my bells and am thankful that I have the right to do so.

“If you don’t vote, you can’t complain” is the call of the smug and self-righteous.  The next time someone says they are not planning to vote in an election, ask them why?  You might find that they care more than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment